The Diabetes Education Program (DEP) of the California Health Collaborative implements diabetes prevention and management classes throughout Fresno County.
Diabetes Self-Management Classes
The DEP aims to educate and empower people with diabetes through the implementation of a six-session curriculum which addresses key factors of diabetes management with an emphasis on nutrition and physical activity. The diabetes self-management classes are implemented in both English and Spanish. No doctor referral is required.
The diabetes self-management classes are held in a variety of settings including health centers, schools, community centers, apartments, etc. To learn about the upcoming diabetes self-management classes, please contact Rosendo Iñiguez at (559) 244-4538.
Diabetes Prevention Program
The DEP has partnered with Saint Agnes Medical Center to implement the CDC-recognized, Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) which is designed to prevent and/or delay type 2 diabetes among individuals with pre-diabetes. To participate in this 12 month program, participants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old and
- Be overweight (body mass index ≥24; ≥22 if Asian) and
- Have no previous diagnosis of type 1 or type 2 diabetes and
- Have a blood test result in the pre-diabetes range within the past year
- Hemoglobin A1C: 5.7%–6.4% or
- Fasting plasma glucose: 100–125 mg/dL or
- Two-hour plasma glucose (after a 75 gm glucose load): 140–199 mg/dL or
- Be previously diagnosed with gestational diabetes
The DPP will be implemented at four locations in Fresno including the Saint Agnes Care Center – Northwest located at 4770 W Herndon Ave #111, Fresno, CA 93722. For more information regarding the DPP, please contact Rosendo Iñiguez at (559) 244-4538.
Director of Program Services: Brandi Muro, MPH
Phone: (559) 244-4512
Program Coordinator: Rosendo Iñiguez, MPH
Phone: (559) 244-4538
Lifestyle Coach: Julie Ruiz
Phone: (559) 244-4554
Address: 1680 W. Shaw Ave. Fresno, CA 93711